Scott and I went to Minneapolis for my brother Ben's wedding in August. Just 2 days before leaving our camera finally couldn't take the beating of being dropped on the floor anymore and simply gave up. It is sad. Sad because I didn't get any pictures of the events and therefore can't post any until my sisters email theirs too me.That 's not why I'm writing this. Besides the fact that it was beautiful weather, stayed at a very nice hotel, thoughtful and lovely sealing, the BEST company to hang out with along with delicious food, there was a time in the day for a brief bit to go to the Goodwill. Yeah, I go to another city that has one of the largest malls in the country to shop (The Mall of America) and I, of all places, go to this dumpy thrift store to hang out. It wasn't that I intentionally sought it out, it was very conveniently located close to where my brother lives and I noticed it from the interstate onramp. So we went. I thought I could find some cowgirl accessories for the Hoe Down that evening and I did!
This place was a warehouse where the Goodwill stores recycled their items that haven't sold on the floor for 2 weeks. It is brought to this location where people come, to "accumulate" items for either personal use or to resale. People line up against conveyor belts with tubs that come out with items placed in them from the back warehouse. You cannot begin to scrounge through the stuff until a worker says "go!" I seriously was laughing at these people and must have had such a cheesy "wipe that smile off your face look"! But I honestly couldn't help it. When it comes to livelihood I seem cruel, but when it's to sell for a business...Come on! Let me tell you what I mean. I decided to try my luck with the conveyor belt ordeal. (I stood there in my wedding reception attire- as I was killing 1 hour of time before the actual event with other family members) The man said "go" and we were off matching shoes together and looking for anything that looked like it would be of some fun value. After all, it's only $1.29/lb for this stuff. I found a Keen recreational shoe my size and picked it up then looking quickly for the match. A man next to me picked up the match and I politely tapped him on the shoulder and asked him if I could have it. He said "NO, we flip a coin for it here!" I was ruffled and appalled. To think I needed to flip a coin for a woman's shoe? What was he going to do with it...how was he going to find me? It became hilarious in my mind and I held onto my 1 shoe. After the shuffle and bustle, he did find me and asked if I wanted to flip for it then. My mother...for lack of better words we'll call her "Mother Hen"--and she went to bat for me. I felt like I wasn't aiding in my own battle and finally said. I have an idea, "whoever fits this she gets this shoe!" He didn't like that and said why didn't I buy his shoe from him...I told him at a $1.29/lb I would. He declined and I said I was going to buy my one shoe and he could do whatever with his. Yeah, the story is dumb, but gets better. He told me that he'd buy my shoe and I said OK, how much? $10 bucks---hmmm (since the shoe didn't really fit my foot 'cuz I tried it on) I said ok.
We bought the shoes and did the money exchange outside and I walked away with $10! A lady walked by and said she'd just sold the same shoes the week prior and made $49 on the---again hmmm. I didn't care...I got my $10 and essentially paid for all of the fun "nicely" used items I got there. It was an experience and if you asked me if I'd do it again. I'd tell you SURE, as soon as I learn karate!




3 comments:
I can only compare the early morning Christmas shopping the day after Thanksgiving....people running and pushing to buy discounted items.....I gave up on that the year I was pregnant with Jocey and had to keep leaving the line to throw up with morning sickness...some were nice and let me back in line, others not so nice....LOVED YOUR STORY! You sound just like a converted DeVries....Greg is always trying to get money for things...he makes me laugh! GOOD JOB!
that is a very interesting story. you should have held out for more $$$$ just kidding-- i would do the same thing.
You are amazing. Sounds like a fun trip. I love the guy with the wacky sign. As Rock Springs is growing we have had an increase of street people asking for food and $ in crazy ways as well. I think it will decrease and they will move on now that the weather has chilled off.
Post a Comment