Saturday, October 10, 2009

Another one Down!

In realizing that I rarely post, I guess I'm not asking for a big response. But, I do need some advice.
So today without going into detail, our new camera (as of May) was used as a weapon amongst other family members. Instead of fleeing the situation, the camera went into battle to defend a child against the other 2 children. Needless to say, the beating was so great that it lost another battle. I don't recall the exact number of the fallen. 3 would be my guess. After some ice and a long talk, I decided that we should not have Christmas, only that I should get a new camera. Of course that did not go over the best. Not as bad as I thought though. I had the children try to come up with ways that they would be responsible in earning the money for another camera. The ideas were limited to selling lemonade, their personal items and a kissing booth?... I was also stuck just thinking about a solution.

So hers's the question that I need help in resolving. What should I do to have my children earn money to replace the camera? For those who have children or have raised children please input if you will. Don't take a lot of thought (because I know how schedules are busy) just something that has worked for you. Their ages are 8, 6 and 4 years old.

Thanks so much! It will be greatly appreciated.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Did you ever see Audra's blog about the mommy money and daddy dollars? Everyday chores to earn some fake money...you could incorporate that somehow...
Make them go through their personal belongings and have a garage sale....

janae said...

I don't have older kids so I have no clue, but my sister will pay her kids to do her chores. The kids already have their own jobs, but if they go above and beyond to do something mom normally does, she pays them. Generally it comes because they ask for money, and she'll give them three options and the amounts of money they'll earn for each one. Then they choose. (Her kids are 8, 6, 4, and 1. Obviously the 1 year-old does nothing. :) I think the options are things like putting away laundry, emptying certain parts of the dishwasher, washing (lower) windows, cleaning the bathroom sink, cleaning the bathtub, etc. Seriously, though. I have no clue. I'm so sorry about your camera!! Good luck working that out!

Michelle said...

excellent-thank you!

Michelle said...

excellent-thank you!

Ricks Family said...

We stole Audra's Idea of Mommy/Daddy money and it is working like a charm. We don't do it exactly like she does though, call me and I'll fill you in on more of my thoughts on it. Sorry about your camera!!

Cheri said...

I had a little lesson on saving money with my kids before we got to go to Disneyland, only I talked about ways to be energy efficient because I knew they couldn't save up a ton of money. Closing the refridgerator, turning off lights, taking shorter showers, turning off radios. Then we talked about not asking me to buy those trashy little toys everytime we went in the store and always wanting to eat out for dinner. They were really good about it and felt like all this money they were saving was getting us to DL.

Audra said...

Depends on how much of a hard nose you want to be. I thought your first idea was a great one!! If It were me, I WOULD ABSOLUTELY Take the majority of the money I had saved up for Christmas and buy a new camera.I would also wrap it up and stick it under the tree, so when it was opened Christmas morning, hopefully a lesson would be learned and never forgotten. Besides that, they'll still get some gifts, maybe just not BIG ones. That's the easiest solution. Making them earn the money to replace it will be a lot harder on you
(and by that I mean listening to whining and keeping them motivated to finish earning) and and knowing kids, probably a much slower process of getting your camera replaced.
You're Still a nice and loving mother-even if you downsize Christmas this year.There's always next Christmas...and the one after that, ect.

KC said...

Wow Michelle -- 3 cameras destroyed by the kiddos? I'd totally go with no Christmas -- but then again, I'm mean! Also, for you, I'd find a special shelf for the camera and not let the kids touch it and then find a really good punishment if they put their little mits on it! What did you decide to do? :)