Thursday, September 3, 2009

Hood To Coast

The mother of all relays took place last Friday/Saturday. The Hood to Coast in its 28th year, with its 197 miles, 1004 teams, 12000 runners, and thousands of volunteers covered the streets, highways, and byways like ants en route to a picnic (that just happened to be at the beach in Seaside). It was a great experience and I started training for next year this past Tuesday by running hills. My body told me to wait a couple more days before I start training again.
Each member of the team ran three different legs with varying degrees of difficulty. I must say that my legs weren't the most difficult, but I did run close to 15 miles overall. The Willis brothers are lightning fast and helped our team come in 147 overall and set a new record.
The van decorating is legendary for this race. There were vans decorated with lights, speakers with loud music, themes like super heroes, headhunters, guys wearing pink skirts, a fairy team with wings and someone even dressed up in a monkey suit handing out bananas.
Our team Name - Semper Ubi Sub Ubi (Always wear underwear). Its a long story, but has nothing to do with anyone in our group. The name has been with the team for years. I was just honored to be a part of the team and a part of history with how well we did.

We had all types of conditions for this event. Cold weather at Mt. Hood, wind, sun, humidity, heat, clouds, rain, and darkness. It doesn't get better than that!
Very familiar site and a home of sorts at each running/van exchange.
It took all the strength I could muster to walk on Sunday and climb the stairs in the house. Even more humorous was watching Adam chase his daughter at church. I must have looked like Frankenstein walking down the hallway.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Yeah! way to go Scott!

janae said...

Good job!

Okay, just a funny story ... Kaye (Michelle's aunt) and Joe (cousin) did a Ragnar relay this last summer, and on the last wing one of the runners got in a portapotty .... but apparently they had already started cleaning up the potties, and while he was inside the potty was loaded into a truck, door side in, and he ended being stuck inside for a few hours. Seriously. Is that awful/hilarious, or what?!

Cheri said...

Wow! I am impressed Scott--good job!

Lizzy said...

Way to go Scott. That is a great accomplishment...

Audra said...

Awesome Scott! (I love participating in stuff like that)
Nice job on placing too!